Monday, October 31, 2011

Pumpkin Patch and Carving

Coming in under the wire for making it to a pumpkin patch this year.  Just couldn't seem to squeeze it in this weekend, so I let the kids stay home from school.  We don't believe in perfect attendance.  Was a beautiful day for playing hookie.  Seventy degrees and so sunny, Randy couldn't stand to look up at the camera.  He has sensitive eyes.

Levi's first patch.  Tried to get a full-on photo of him, but he too, was hesitant to look toward the sun.  I was commiserating with the ladies at the patch about them having so many pumpkins left to discard tomorrow.  I remember what a pain that was when we did a pumpkin patch to raise money for Marina's adoption.  So during the course of the conversation, it came up that some of the children were adopted. One of the ladies was particularly interested, and I could tell by the questions she asked, that she knew quite a bit about how adoption works.  Turns out her and her husband suffered from secondary infertility and then a failed adoption (birthfamily changed their minds).  She asked about, and I shared with her a little of how Levi joined our family, but her questions were rather direct, and it wasn't long before she realized that Levi basically fell into our laps.  I think it hurt her.  She got real quiet and then busy with something else.  I don't know what to say to people.  I don't want to lie, but the truth--that a family with six beautiful children was blessed with a healthy, beautiful seventh in an "accidental" adoption--is such a bitter, bitter thing for so many.
This evening we ate some left-over non-prize winning chili with our friend Kenny, and then the master used a sawzaw to carve the pumpkin. Now that's country.  The kids called the two pumpkins we carved Jack O. Lantern (not real original) and Peanut (because it was shaped like one).  We also bought a HUGE pumpkin at the patch--it was so tall and handsome, I couldn't resist--but having spent a pretty penny on it, I did not feel like carving it tonight and having to throw it out tomorrow or the next day.  I think I'm going to try to paint it with acrylics for the Thanksgiving season.

No comments:

Post a Comment