Friday, January 6, 2012

On Again, Off Again

My Internet that is. Just when I think I've had to painstakingly use the master's IPhone to post for the last time, I lose it. But, will make this short and sweet, and hope for good things when I take the computer in to geek squad tomorrow. There is no way we can afford a new computer right now, and we purchased a my-fi system that--since we have already spent the money for--sure would be great to use.
As of Wednesday, we are parents of a teenager. Not sure how I feel about that. K has been an easy-to-parent, precoscious, oddly mature child. Throughout his childhood I was repeatedly warned, "just wait until he gets to be a teenager," in a tone that clearly indicated all hell would break loose. So, we shall see.
Wednesday night Ian broke his sternum. He was leading a chase game with Randy in the church fellowship hall. They had just overturned a chair with their horseplay, when I hollered at them from the kitchen to take it outside. As they made one last lap, Randy caught up to Ian, pushed him, and he fell, full-force onto the metal leg of the upturned chair. A few seconds into his cries of pain, I knew it was no kiss-and-make-it-better bobo. His breathing was labored and he couldn't stop crying as much as his macho, nine-year-old heart wanted to. Not wanting to alarm him, I stepped into the hall and called my best friend who happens to be an RN. Could you seriously hurt yourself falling onto a chair? The answer, my friends, is yes! A trip to the ER revealed he broke his sternum. Now, no one knows what to do with him. Since the sternum bone is usually only broken in the case of a severe car wreck or by a surgeon during heart surgery,when the patient's movement will be confined for an extended period, they are not sure what level of activity to allow for an otherwise healthy child. And how am I supposed to keep this kid inactive while the doctors decide? He climbed before he walked.

No comments:

Post a Comment